Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crockpot Lasagna

I have a love-hate relationship with my crockpot.  I love the concept.......but I sometimes hate the way meals turn out.  Maybe I'm just really picky but I've tried my fair share of recipes that created so-so meals.  Anyone else feel that sometimes it tastes really crockpoty?  Is that even a word?

I do have a few tried and true recipes that I will make in the crockpot...and the crockpot lasagna is always a family favorite.  It's super easy to make and it freezes well if you have leftovers.  That's a win-win in my book!

You will need:
1 pound ground mild Italian sausage (or use hot if you want it to have a kick)
1 yellow onion, chopped
45 oz tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1-3/4 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
16 lasagna noodles, uncooked (can use wheat or regular)

 Pour all 3 cheeses together in a mixing bowl.  I let it sit for a few minutes (before stirring) while I start the other steps.  I find it mixes better when it's not straight out of the refrigerator.
 In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and sausage is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes.  Drain.
Stir in tomato sauce, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning and salt/pepper.
 Spoon one-forth of the meat mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker.
 Top with part of the noodles.
 Now you can mix all the cheeses together.  Then, I use my spatula to divide the cheese mixture into 2 equal parts.  Spread half of the cheese and then another one-fourth meat mixture.  Top with more noodles, remaining cheese mixture, and one-fourth of meat mixture.  Top with remaining noodles and remaining sausage mixture.

 A little trick I discovered is if I dip my spatula into the hot meat mixture and then spread the cheese.....the cheese spreads much easier.
 When transferring the meat mixture, I use a measuring cup to easily pour into the crockpot and then use the bottom as the "spreader."
 Cover and cook on low until noodles are tender, 4-6 hours.  * Cooking time will vary depending on your crockpot

Here are the basic steps again:
* brown meat and onion
*  add tomato sauce and dry spices
* mix 3 cheeses together and divide into 2 equal parts
* Spoon 1/4 of meat mixture into bottom of crockpot
*  Top with noodles
*  Spread half of cheese mixture
*  1/4 meat mixture
*  More noodles
*  Remaining cheese mixture
*  1/4 meat mixture
* More noodles
*  Remaining meat mixture

Serve with homemade garlic knots or easy french bread.

Do you have a favorite crockpot meal that I should try?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can TOTALLY relate to your crock pot description - I am right there with you!

Hope you are feeling better today, praying for you,
Jen O.

Heather said...

I have that recipe and love it. A couple of super easy ones I do all the time are Chicken Fajitas & BBQ Chicken. For the Chicken Fajitas: You clean/trim the fat off the chicken. I usually use a whole 3lb bag of chicken. I cut each breast in half then brown for a few minutes in oil on each side in a skillet. Take it straight out of the skillet and place in the crockpot. Pour one packet of taco seasoning into the crockpot on top of the chicken, cover with water, stir. Put the lid on it and cook on low
(not high) for a minimum of 6 hours-8 hours. I stir every couple of hours. When its done you can take each piece out with a fork and shred it easily. Or you can pour the water out and shred in crockpot with a fork. You can serve it on nachos w/ a topping bar of sliced avacados or homemade guacamole, sliced black olives, sourcream, shredded mex cheese, melted cheese, black or refried beans, salsa...basically whatever you like. This has become a family New Years Eve traditional meal for us. Or...have flour tortillas and they can have it burrito style. It's so good and easy!
BBQ Chicken: Also, you can do the exact same thing with the chicken, except when you put it in the crockpot simply pour a whole bottle of your fave BBQ sauce over it. Cook it the same amount of time and you have the easiest, most tender BBQ chicken ever. I serve with Paula Deens Homemade Mac & cheese, cornbread, & carrot fries. DELISH! Ok, so that was the longest comment ever, but super easy staples for us! :)

Christine said...

I completely agree with you on the crock pot - I love mine, and honestly there are certain nights of the week I can't get dinner done and on the table without it, but I do get tired of soups and stews. I have several "old stand-bys", but this one is my very favorite. It doesn't taste like it came out of a crock pot at all! So yummy!

http://www.candcmarriagefactory.com/2011/01/brown-sugar-and-balsamic-glazed-pork.html

I recently found your blog, and have enjoyed reading it. I'm planning on trying your smoothie "recipe" soon. I hope you're feeling better after the accident, and you get things worked out with your car soon! Have a great weekend!

Jennifer said...

thanks Heather and Christine. I'll def have to try those recipes you suggested!

Whitney said...

I've always wondered if crock pot lasagna was any good- glad to know it is! I'll have to try your recipe- thanks!!